Monday, December 21, 2009

My Dad

On August 4 my Dad passed away from congestive heart failure. The last few months of his life my siblings and I (spouses and families) had the privilege of taking a day a week to help my parents. It was a honor and blessing to be able to spend this time with them. I looked forward to my day each week. We were able to share wonderful memories and express our love for each other. It was a tender experience for Chase and Rex to help care for their Grandfather. We were blessed to be with him when he passed. He lived an exemplary life. He was a wonderful father and grandfather. When my Dad was 63 he sat down and wrote “Guidelines For a Fulfilling and Happy Life From One Who Has Been There”

1. Have faith in and follow Jesus Christ. It will bring you eternal happiness.
2. Love and listen to your spouse. Have a second honeymoon at least once a year.
3. Take time to teach and enjoy your children. They are a lot more important than a clean house and yard.
4. Think: “How much can I give?” not “What can I get?”
5. Buy only that which you can afford. Don’t envy others.
6. Seek for and follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost.
7. Be a “Bebiggler” and not a “belittler”. Look for the doughnut and not the hole.
8. Be a helpful and concerned neighbor.
9. Listen to good music. Read good books. Engage in stimulating conversation.
10. Be a participant, not just a spectator. Don’t be afraid to say “I’ll try.”
11. Don’t expect perfection of anyone until you have achieved perfection.
12. Make a contribution in your work or any assignment you accept. Give credit to others.
Show appreciation and compliment others.
13. Work is a blessing and not a curse.
14. Be an honest person.
15. Plant some pansies every spring and get your hand into the soil.
16. Own a popcorn popper and an ice-cream freezer.
17. Enjoy being alive!

This tells a lot about the kind of person he was and how he lived his life. We all miss him a lot!
I found a few fun photos.


Mom and Dad on their 60th wedding anniversary

Mom, Dad and me - celebrating my birthday last year.

Chase, me, Mom, Rex, and Dad last Christmas.

Rex and Grandpa reading

Chase, Dad, Les, Mom, and Rex celebrating Rex's "incredible" birthday.

No comments: